Diet: Spark People

Has anyone seen or heard of Spark People?  It seems almost too good to be true.  It has a lot of the things that I really liked about Weight Watchers, and it's REALLY customizable.  Like I said, I have a difficult time making choices, so one of the big issues for me is that I want someone to tell me what to do, because I'm completely clueless.  So, this site gives you a meal plan with shopping lists and recipes (excellent), tells you what kind of exercises to do, and tracks calories, fat, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium... whatever you want it to do.  Plus, there are tools for improving other areas of your life, too... which I totally need because (shit, confession time) I am a pretty heavy smoker and I've been thinking about quitting.  Additionally, you can turn off the meal plan or the exercises, and just enter your own food or exercise if you're disciplined... not like me.

And it's free.

What????

Yeah.  Usually, the free plans come with some kind of catch - like you have to drink SlimFast or use that Alli crap (which might not be crap, but whatever).

I'm going to try it.  Free doesn't hurt.  If it can help me quit smoking, that would be awesome too.  It's nasty.  I know it's nasty (but I'm kind of reluctant to quit, because I don't get breaks or anything at work... so I take three cigarette breaks throughout the day just to get outside, and nobody bugs me or anything).

I noticed something this week... I feel more energized.  I don't feel like I'm lumbering around anymore.  That's weird, because I've only lost 5 pounds so far, but it feels like there's been a difference.  Maybe it's in my head, but I like it.  I felt like getting out and doing something... only yesterday I started getting some weird effed up congestion, which I'm not sure if it's allergies or a cold...  I feel a little better today, but my ear is all plugged up and my throat feels funky.  It kept me up for most of the night (I finally fell asleep around 6:30 this morning.... thank god for Saturdays).  I'm going to just fart around and relax for a couple of hours, and then I've got some cleaning to do, and hopefully I'll feel ok enough to go do something with Jon tonight.  I feel bad, because I was sick early in the week, too with bubble guts, and then I went out with another friend on Thursday night (I had pizza... I'm sorry, but if you live semi-close to a Lou Malnatti's and you like Chicago deep-dish pizza, you know it's like crack)...

So this ended up being a ramble, but the main thing was about the Spark People thing.  What do you guys think?  I need to learn better habits eventually, but I just don't trust myself to do the right thing in most situations.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently found SparkPeople too. I was amazed and the size of the community, mountains of information and the sheer number of tools they provide for free.

I set up a profile and started logging there, but it was too much because I have to track with my BodyBugg and I do my own WW-style tracking spreadsheet as well. I guess I overwhelmed myself.

The only thing I think SparkPeople could improve upon is their food database. I kept having to go to CalorieKing for nutritional info.

Even so, SP is a great tool - I say use it.

Pheonix said...

HI there! I just linked over from Blubberblog...

Yes Sparkpeople is awesome, however I do agree they need to work on their food database, and i too find I flip back to Calorie King for better nutrition info.

Great Blog btw! I'll deffinately be checking in! :)

Post a Comment