Weigh In: 2/22/2009

Weekly Weigh In: 240.4 lbs
Total Weight Lost: 4 lbs.

That's since Tuesday.  I was very happy that the number was lower than it was on Saturday when I weighed, in spite of the gnocchi and the cheesecake!

Which got me thinking... I will fail if I deprive myself.  Plain and simple.  In order to succeed, I HAVE to add exercise to the mix, and I will HAVE to eat some of the things that I like to eat.  If I deprive myself, I know I will fall apart when temptation hits.  And we know it will hit.  I mean, baseball season is coming up, and there is no possible way one can go to a game without munching on a bratwurst.  It's impossible.

So, I've decided that Sundays I should be allowed to eat whatever I want (within reason... as in I can have a good brunch, and then eat sensibly for the rest of the day, or have a good burger for lunch or something... nothing like a binge), without worrying about my points.  For the rest of the week, I should stick to my plan and place more of an emphasis on working out.  And here's the stupid part: my building has a workout room.  I would be stupid not to use it!  It's just across the parking lot!

I'm surprised it only took me a week on Weight Watchers to realize that the only way I'm going to see the best results is if I don't treat this like a diet.  I need to treat it like... this is my life.  And that's it.  And in my life, I am eating healthier, but sometimes there are going to be evenings where we go to Via Carducci and drink and eat pasta with friends or family... and that can't be something that I feel like makes me fail on my diet.  That's just a part of life.  That's what people do.  I just have to make sure that I'm doing it responsibly, fusing it into a healthier lifestyle and learning that moderation is the key.

Dinners out can't be avoided.  I have friends and family and soon-to-be in-laws.  We go to bars and we like good beer.  I am not willing to give up a lot of the things I enjoy, like an evening with my friend St. Bernardus at Hopleaf for a diet.  That will make me hate myself!

The key is moving.  I think I am going to start exercising sooner than I had planned.  This week is going to be crazy busy because we are going to New York for the weekend, and the other evenings of the week need to be devoted to getting my old apartment clean and tidy so I can turn over the keys (housework, by the way, is a pretty good way to get in some exercise).

So movement, I realize, is going to be the key.  Movement and moderation.  I love alliteration, don't you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment